Charming and grounded

Grimoire of a Kitchen Witch: An Essential Guide to Witchcraft - Rachel Patterson

This book was my first introduction to Rachel Patterson's work. I self-identify as a Druid, but my interest in folklore includes an interest in folk magic, and Rachel speaks to that in ways I really appreciate. This is magic for people who need to work with what's to hand, and who want magic as part of their normal lives, not so kind of escape. Her work is grounded and accessible. There's a perfect balancing here in terms of knowing what to take seriously, what can be played with, what needs respect and what is best done with a sprinkle of giggles. I have no doubt that it is precisely this mix of warmth, light and sensibleness that makes Rachel's work so very attractive to readers. Little wonder that she's gone on to write a number of very popular titles.

I think if Terry Pratchett’s witches wrote an introduction to magic, it would look a lot like this book. Pragmatic, playful, wise and sprinkled with humour, the author covers a lot of ground and isn’t afraid to use a wooden spoon!

This is the sort of book you can sit down and read cover to cover, or dip in and out of at need. it's full of ideas, but not dogmatic - very much a book for people who want to improvise, innovate, and find things that make sense to them. Suitable for solitaries, or for people who want to share their kitchen, and particularly good for working in a witchy family where younger people want to be included.